Still here at Canyon Ranch, recognized as the #1 fitness facility in the US – lucky me! A lecture I attended (thanks Dr Dedhia) revealed the following causes of weight gain in the 20th Century as follows…
- Trans Fats – rise of processed foods
- Soft Drinks – sugar consumption, rise of sweet index
- Refrigerators – greater availability of food
- Cars/Computers/TV’s – sedentary lifestyle
- Electric lights – reduced sleep time
- 24/7 Expectations – “normalcy” of stress
Did you know – the average American adult will gain ~ 22 lbs from age 25 til 55? – an increase in 1 lb in weight will equal 4 lbs on the knees? – the average American now comsumes 140 lbs of sugar/yr?
Is there a solution to rising obesity? Think!!! ….balance your food intake with your activity! …or, calories IN balanced with calories OUT/BURNED.
Will head to a lecture on Sleep tomorrow – will keep you posted!