Tournament location is designated at least 2 years before the event. A steering committee will start planning at that time. Approx 12 Committees will be required
1000 – 1400 volunteers will be required to look after Players, Caddies, Sponsors, VIP’s, Volunteers, Spectators, Rules Officials, and Media.
I was lucky to CoChair a Hospitality Committee for a LPGA Major with the following responsibilities…
- Hospitality Desks – airport, host hotel, and golf course
- Locker room
- Transportation – donated vans driven continually between the golf course, airport and hotel
- Billets – for those not choosing to stay at the hotel
- Day care – personnel were responsibility of the sponsor, but securing a location with specific criteria was ours
- Hairdresser – needed a hairdresser and a proper chair
Other areas requiring volunteers
- Golf course…marshalls, walking scorers, scoreboard(s), spotters, crowd control
- Food & Beverage had to cater to the players, caddies, VIP’s, volunteers, media rules officials and the media.
- Special Events organized the opening and closing ceremonies.
AND MANY OTHERS…tickets, parking lots, restrooms, bleachers, first aid, security, corporate tents,…..
IF YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO VOLUNTEER – GO FOR IT!